Now a part of the
Center, the dates back to
1876 when the cornerstone was laid for the original facility. The first Good Samaritan Hospital opened in
1886, but closed in 1893 due to financial problems. Pictured above is the Good Samaritan
Hospital shortly after it
was rebuilt in 1918-1919. The front of the hospital faced Good Samaritan
Hospital Van Buren Street. The nursing staff is
pictured below in 1923.
Members of the hospital’s office staff can be seen in this picture, taken in January 1923. Two typewriters and an early public address system were used by the employees.
The babies’ ward was relatively small in the 1920s.
This Standard Electric stove was cutting edge for its day.
Here is a hospital examination room from 1923.
The ward system was used in the 1920s, with separate wards for men, women and children.
to read more about the history of medicine in our community. Historical
articles about Sandusky
Research Center Sandusky's
hospitals and doctors are found in Hewson Peeke’s A Standard History of Erie County, and in the Twin Anniversary Edition of the Sandusky
Register Star News, published on November 21, 1947, now on microfilm.