From 1873 until the late 1890s, Conrad Leonhiser operated a grocery store at the northwest corner of Reese and Hancock Streets. During some of its years in business, a saloon was also connected to the grocery store. You can see the exact location of Mr. Leonhiser’s business in the 1886 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map. The saloon was at
Hancock Street, and the grocery was at 735 Hancock Street.
(Street numbers changed at least twice
during the years of operation of the grocery store.)
Notes on the original picture identified the individuals. From left to right are: Conrad Leonhiser, Mrs. Gundlach, and Mrs. Conrad Leonhiser. On the wagon are Henry Leonhiser (left) and Mr. Heinzerling (right.)
Brooms and produce can be seen in the front of the store, while lamps, bottles and other items line the shelves inside the store. Acme soap was one item sold by Conrad Leonhiser.
On August 1, 1896, Conrad Leonhiser died at the age of 63. His funeral took place the family residence at