We don't have any specific information about the pictures below, taken by C. W. Platt, but it appears that it could be a friendly competition between two different stations of the Sandusky Fire Department in the late 1890’s. In each photo a daring young man is atop a ladder, while the other boys are all holding onto a fire hose. The top photograph was taken at the Central Fire Department on West Market Street.
Another team is standing in front of Fire Station No. 4 at the corner of Central Avenue and Osborne Street. The boys are wearing shirts labeled “Globe Clothing.”
Several vintage photographs and a history of the Sandusky Fire Department, as well as information about significant fires fought in Sandusky, are found in the historical collections of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center.