A blog dedicated to the discussion of topics relating to the history of Sandusky and Erie County, Ohio; inspired by the collections of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center and Follett House Museum. A service of the Sandusky Library.
In 1916 Norman R. Holzaepfel operated a confectionery at the corner of Madison Street and Columbus Avenue in Sandusky. His shop sold cigars, candy, newspapers and magazines. The March 23, 1916 issue of the Sandusky Star Journal featured a small ad that stated that every customer who made a purchase on Saturday, March 25, 1916, would be given a free copy of the Saturday Evening Post. Here a group of news carriers hold copies of the magazine in front of the store. In 1919 Norman Holzaepfel ran a newsstand at the West House hotel.
Mr. Norman R. Holzepfel’s obituary, which appeared in the October 20, 1970 issue of the Sandusky Register, indicated that Mr. Holzaepfel had been a concessionaire in the Sandusky area for fifty years.