For a century, the Murschel House was located in the 1200 block of North Depot Street close to the train station in Sandusky. Ellie Damm wrote in Treasure by the Bay that Jacob Murschel built a saloon and hotel in 1876, opposite the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad depot. The hotel and saloon were convenient for both railroad workers and travelers. (The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway later became a part of the New York Central Railroad.)
A full page advertisement in the book What: Souvenir of Sandusky, Ohio and the Islands of Lake Erie, features interior views of the bar, reading room, dining room, and barber shop of the Murschel House.
Through the years, the Murschel House had several different owners. It was still listed in the 1981 Sandusky City Directory, but by 1991 the city ordered the building to be demolished for safety concerns. Visit the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center to learn more about the Murschel House and other historic hotels and businesses in Sandusky and Erie County.