The Art Study Club has operated in Sandusky for over one hundred years, serving as a source for women to share their interest and knowledge of art with other members, and with the community at large. It was founded in 1901 by ten women who wanted an organization that supported “the study and discussion of art and the promotion of good fellowship among its members.” In the past century, members have shared their love of art through lectures, group discussions, tours, and public exhibitions in various community locations, including the Masonic Temple and the Follett House. The club is still active today.
Recently, the Art Study Club donated its historical records to the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center, where they are available for public research. Included in these records are meeting minutes, club yearbooks, photographs, and ephemera describing events of the club. These records provide a view of social activities of women in Sandusky, and offer us a glimpse of the evolution of American culture in the twentieth century. We are grateful to the Art Study Club and its president Rhonda Watt for their generous contribution to the archives of our community.
If your community organization has historical materials to be preserved, please consider the Sandusky Library.