Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Veterans Day, Nov. 11: George Schiller, Last Spanish-American War Veteran in Erie County

At the time of his death in September 1977 at age 99, George S. Schiller was the last surviving Spanish-American War veteran in Erie County. In his own words: "I enlisted April 25, 1898, right after the sinking of the Maine." He served in Company B of the 16th Ohio Militia, which was renamed the 6th Volunteer Infantry after becoming part of the national army. Schiller and his unit were shipped off to Cuba on December 22, 1898, but by then the worst of the battles were over, with Spanish defeat following soon after. Company B returned home to Sandusky in May 1899, receiving a welcoming parade on Columbus Avenue, as seen below.
George Schiller lived a long and fruitful life, using his experience as an Army cook in a restaurant and catering career. He was an active member in several veterans organizations, including being elected National Senior Vice Commander-in-Chief of the United Spanish-American War Veterans at age 97. A lifelong resident of Sandusky, he is buried in Oakland Cemetery.

2 comments:

Rollie Hartenfeld said...

I knew George when he was quite old, in fact his son was my grand fathers age. George came to several of our family picnics at Lyons park in Sandusky. He had old war stories to tell.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rollie,

I hope this message finds you. My name is Caleb Schiller and if I understand things correctly, George was my father’s great-great uncle. You are likely among only a few people alive today who has spoken with the man, and I would be forever grateful for any things about him you would share with me. My email is schiller.caleb@gmail.com I hope to hear from you. Regardless, blessings.